Friday, September 11, 2009

Sept 11 - Sonic Booms over Los Angeles




O and I were playing ball in the pool when suddenly two very loud booms rattled the sky and space all around us. We weren't too sure if it was thunder from a cloudy sky or sonic booms from some military launches nearby. So we quickly got out of the water in case it was thunder.

The two distinctive very loud booms were so close it felt like the entire sky and air around us was struck by it. The vibration was tactile.

When we found out it was the landing of the Space Shuttle Discovery both of us suddenly felt chills up our spines. How cool is it when two seconds of your daily life is affected by seven people returning home from SPACE?

We take for granted the achievements of our society when astronauts are floating nearly 400 miles above us, working on advancing our collective future. So we ignore the news or at best, glance through it. But when the booms shook me to the core, I realized how amazing it is that my normal life can be inspired and touched by grand visions.

I've been recounting the sound of the booms and thinking about the seven astronauts flying home from a mission in space as a matter of course. It makes me think that perhaps before I die, I might be able to fly into space as a tourist. The feeling is amazing and uplifting. Very special and unique indeed.

What a fitting memorial to the tragedy of September 11, 2001.

Check out the following:

1 comment: